The Portsmouth Probate Court is held at 8:30 a.m. the second Tuesday of each month in the Portsmouth Town Council Chambers.
2023 Probate Court Calendar
Jurisdiction of Probate Court
All Probate matters are filed according to residency. Rhode Island does not file by County; each City and Town has its own Probate Court. Probate Court has jurisdiction in and of the following domains:
- Adoption of persons 18 years of age or older
- Appointment of custodians, administrators, and guardians of persons and estates
- City / Town in which it is established
- Granting of administration
- Name Changes
- Probate of wills
- All other matters now within the jurisdiction of Probate Court
The Probate Court Clerk is prohibited from giving legal advice, assistance in the preparation of forms, and advisement on how a case should be handled.
Probate Filing Fees
All fees should be made payable to the "Town of Portsmouth" and all mailings should be addressed to:
Jennifer West, CMC
2200 E. Main Road
Portsmouth, RI 02871
Please contact our office at 401-683-2101 should you have any questions regarding this matter.