Beaches - Sandy Point & McCorrie Point
Beach Closures: RIDOH Beach Closures to view current beach closures due to water quality
Beach Weather: Weather for Portsmouth, RI
- Due to a shortage of available lifeguards, Sandy Point Beach may not always be staffed with lifeguards during the swimming season.
Questions: 401-787-0281 (leave a message)
Swim Safely: Swimming Safely at the Beach
Sandy Point Beach
This shallow, natural beach is located on the Sakonnet River at the end of Sandy Point Avenue and is great for families. Sandy Point Beach is equipped with picnic tables, and changing rooms and restroom facilities which are open when the beach is staffed with lifeguards.
Sandy Point Beach Water Quality
Sandy Point Beach is the Town’s only official beach, which means the water is tested in accordance with standards set by the RI Department of Health and lifeguards and facilities are provided any time admission fees are charged. Once the beach season opens, you can check on water quality by going to the RI Department of Health Beach Viewer and locating Sandy Point Beach.
Sandy Point Beach is handicap accessible via a walkway.
- When no lifeguards are on duty, visitors should proceed with caution while in the water and swim at their own risk.
- When no lifeguards are on duty, the restrooms and facilities are closed.
- Sigourney Road is limited to resident only parking. Parking permits are being distributed to residents on Sigourney Road.
- Dogs, leashed or unleashed, are not allowed on the beach per town ordinance.
Transfer Station Sticker holders do not require an additional beach sticker. Otherwise, Resident Beach Stickers are available. To obtain a beach sticker, go to the Town Clerk's Office and provide your valid car registration showing your Portsmouth address. To receive a sticker by mail, send a copy of your registration and a self-addressed stamped envelope. If you are:
- Military: please send or bring a copy of your valid lease and your valid car registration
- Second homeowner: please send or bring your current tax bill and valid car registration
- Company car: you will need to present a letter on company letterhead from the President of the company, stating this person solely has use of this car, with a description of the vehicle and VIN and car registration to put license plate number on the sticker and your proof of residency (current tax bill or current lease)
Town Clerk’s Office, 2200 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871 or drop all required information in the Tax Drop Box outside of Town Hall. If you mail, a 1- to 2- week turnaround time is expected on Beach Stickers, so please plan accordingly.
Limit of two (2) resident stickers per household.
Non-resident entry into Sandy Point Beach - please pay at entrance:
- $15 Monday - Thursday when lifeguards are on duty
- $20 Friday, Saturday, Sunday when lifeguards are on duty
- $50 for a 4-pack to be used any day when lifeguards are on duty
McCorrie Point is an open space area located at the end of McCorrie Lane. McCorrie Point is an active neighborhood location with expansive water views. There are no facilities, and this is always a "Use at Your Own Risk" area.
- Resident Beach Pass parking only.
- Entry and exit is directed by one-way signs.
- There are no lifeguards and no facilities at McCorrie Point, so visitors should always proceed with caution while in the water and use this area at their own risk.
- William Street and Annette Drive are limited to resident only parking. Parking permits are being distributed to residents on these roads.